Pages

Teru teru bozu and Annular Solar Eclipse


My husband was so excited to observe the annular solar eclipse this Monday (wow, TV said the former one took place 932 years ago) and all prepared having bought a glasses for it. Unfortunately, we heard the sound of rain that morning (it was supposed to be seen around 7:20 in the morning). Poor husband looked quite disappointed to have missed such a rare chance.




*Teru teru bozu
His discouragement reminded me of one of traditional Japanese doll or amulet used to ward off rain. A little traditional hand-made doll made of white paper or cloth that Japanese farmers began hanging outside of their window by a string. It is called teru teru bozu link and literally translates to "shiny shiny monk". "Teru" is a Japanese verb which describes sunshine, and a "bōzu" is a Buddhist monk, or in modern slang, "bald-headed"; it is also a term of endearment for addressing little boys. (quate from the link)
This doll is supposed to have magical powers to bring good weather. I DO remember my late mother made it for me the night before two-nights three days' school excursion when I was in the last year of elementary school. As are the other traditions, I don't think we can see this lovely doll much in Japan.
What is more, it is funny enough that if you hang it upside down, it will act like a prayer for rain. I found some cute ones here, so I'd like to show you some of them.
If I had made it, it might have worked (*^_^*)







No comments:

Post a Comment